Athenaeum Theatre, located on Southport Avenue in Lake View, opened in 1911 as part of the campus of St. Alphonsus Catholic Church. Conceived as a neighborhood playhouse by the original German-American parish, the historic building is the oldest continuously operating off-Loop theater in Chicago.
View from the hallway leading to the auditorium entrance, looking back towards the lobby.
The theater’s main stage set up for a contemporary circus arts performance.
Antique lighting control equipment in the hallway on the second floor of the theater.
Antique Klieglight Dyna-Beam spotlight sitting in a hallway at the theater.
Doors in the main auditorium.