Viewing all posts from the Logan Square neighborhood

One Year Later: Controversial Demolition of A 19th-Century Barn in Avondale

Gabriel X. Michael 3 comments
Site of 2934 North Wisner Avenue barn, circa 1880s, before and after demolition.

Site of 2934 North Wisner Avenue barn, circa 1880s, before (December 2012) and after (June 2014) demolition.

A former Gothic style barn or stable at 2934 North Wisner Avenue was arguably one of the oldest structures standing in the Avondale & Logan Square community areas, and was built when the area near Milwaukee and Kimball Avenues was farmland (adjacent to the famed Kimbell Farm founded in 1836), with a few residential structures.

Continue reading »


Eagle Atop the Centennial Monument in Logan Square

John Morris 1 comment
Logan eagle

John Morris/Chicago Patterns

Built in 1918 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of statehood for Illinois, the eagle, monument, and base are the central focal point for Logan Square park (which is actually a triangle).

Continue reading »


Spanish Revival at Milwaukee and Diversey

John Morris Leave a comment
John Morris/Chicago Patterns

John Morris/Chicago Patterns

This corner building in the Spanish Revival style is at 2787 Milwaukee Avenue.


Under Demolition: 2821 North Avers Avenue

Gabriel X. Michael Leave a comment
Viewing east towards front facade of 2821 North Avers Avenue house, circa 1880s, under demolition

Viewing east towards front facade of 2821 North Avers Avenue house under demolition. Gabriel X. Michael/Chicago Patterns

After some time on the city’s Demolition Delay Hold List, the review period has ended and demolition will be proceeding for the “orange-rated” house at 2821 North Avers Avenue. I recently visited one late afternoon to check on the site, and photograph the current state of the structure.

Looking into available public records, conflicting information exists regarding the actual age of this building: by all real estate-related and Cook County Assessor’s Office information that can be obtained, this house was built in 1908. However, the City of Chicago’s Historic Resources Survey–a ground-level, detailed effort completed nearly 20 years ago–also indicates this as a significant, “orange-rated” structure, circa 1880s.

Continue reading »