On Saturday, June 30th, there are two things going on:
- Bus tours will showcase the architecture of two of Gary’s most notable residential neighborhoods, Morningside and Horace Mann. Advance registration is required, but as of this writing, spaces remain for the 10:15am and 11:00am departures.
- From 10:00am to 4:00pm, an assortment of occupied and vacant downtown buildings will be open for public visits, and art installations and docents will help activate the exteriors of several others that cannot be opened.
Whether you’ve booked a guided tour or just want to explore the open sites downtown, check in at 504 Broadway to get oriented. That’s the Gary State Bank Building, itself one of the coolest sites to visit – with a beautiful banking lobby and a basement vault to explore. The event is completely free and open to the public, and well worth the trip from Chicago. Check out the Facebook event for the latest updates, and share it to help spread the word!If you can’t make it to Gary on Saturday, June 30th, be sure to mark your calendar for July 14th. On that day, in addition to the downtown open house, access will expand to sites in Horace Mann and Morningside, with no advance registration required. Be sure to check the Gary Preservation Tour Facebook page for the most detailed and up-to-date information.
- Gary Preservation Tour Facebook Page
- Gary Preservation Tour June 30th 2018 Facebook Event
- Visitors can see inside abandoned buildings in Gary Preservation Tour [Times of Northwest Indiana]
- Last year’s Gary Preservation Tour Open House 2017