Viewing all posts from the North Lawndale neighborhood

The 100-Year-Old Bridges of Chicago’s Douglas Park

Gabriel X. Michael Leave a comment

Gabriel X. Michael/Chicago Patterns

Douglas Park is one of Chicago’s most scenic city parks in the heart of the west side of Chicago. Spread across 174 acres in the North Lawndale community area, it is located between West Roosevelt Road and West 19th Street to the north and south (respectively), and South California Avenue and South Albany Avenue to the east and west.

Established in 1869 as the southern park of the West Park System, along with Humboldt (formerly “North”) and Garfield (formerly “Central”) Parks, the park exhibits the design talents of multiple renowned architects including William LeBaron Jenney, Oscar F. Dubuis, and Jens Jensen, along with locally-notable designers Michaelsen & Rognstad.

Continue reading »


Decorated Greystone in North Lawndale

John Morris Leave a comment

lawndale

The Neoclassical greystone board up at Spaulding and Ogden was built in 1906.

 


19th-Century Chicago Addresses on the West Side

Gabriel X. Michael 2 comments

Gabriel X. Michael/Chicago Patterns

Before Edward Brennan developed the comprehensive 8 blocks-to-a-mile address system in 1909, Chicago street addresses were disorganized and confusing, being based on three distinct divisions of the city created by its surrounding waterways of the Chicago River, its branches, and Lake Michigan. Lake Street (the first street platted in the village of Chicago) was the city’s original dividing line between north and south but east and west designations depended on which side of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan you were located. Continue reading »


Theodore Herzl School

John Morris 1 comment

hertzl

The Theodore Herzl School in North Lawndale was designed by Arthur Hussander and opened in 1915. Read more at Chicago Historic Schools.