St. Henry’s Catholic Church at Devon and Ridge

John Morris 3 comments

St. Henry's Catholic Church

St. Henry’s Catholic Church, now Angel Guardian Croatian Church at 6346 N. Ridge Avenue was built in 1905. It features Franz Mayer and F. X. Zettler stained glass windows.


Corner Building at Damen and Grace

John Morris Leave a comment

corner building

This corner building at 3759 North Damen in North Center was built in 1913.


Andersonville’s Calo Theater

John Morris Leave a comment
John Morris/Chicago Patterns

John Morris/Chicago Patterns

Located at 3415 North Clark Street, and opened in 1915.

More from Cinema Treasures:

Opened in 1915 for the Ascher Brothers circuit, the Calo, which originally sat 880, is located in Chicago’s Andersonville neighborhood on Clark Street near Balmoral Avenue.

In the early 90s, the historic Calo, with its elaborate white terra-cotta facade, became the home of the Griffin Theatre Company, which put almost $100,000 into renovating and restoring the former movie house into a legitimate theater, the seating decreased to just 135 in its main auditorium.


Barber Shop of the Week: The Hair Force

1 comment

20140513-101501.jpg

The Hair Force, located at 4415 N Sheridan Road in Uptown, is a bustling barber shop that continues the legacy of the current owner’s uncle, a Chicago barber who began his career in 1948. The storefront beckons with cheerful hand-painted signage. The atmosphere inside is evocative of the great tradition of urban barber shops as anchors of community, and places where one’s personal barber can be trusted with any honest opinion or secret.

Continue reading »