Viewing all posts from the Loop neighborhood
Every year brings new buildings and the demolition of others–it’s the continuous cycle that transforms inanimate structures into the growing and evolving organism of a city. In times of wealth and prosperity the number of construction and demolition permits grow, and in times of recession they dwindle.
Last year this cycle repeated largely as it has in years past. But there were a few themes in the destruction of Chicago’s architectural heritage: late 19th century Worker’s Cottages, grand South Side homes, Italianate row houses, and a few sparkling Victorians on the North Side.
It wasn’t all losses in 2016–there were a few wins, particularly neglected or damaged churches that will live on through adaptive reuse.
1449 S. Michigan Avenue
Two major recording studios were headquartered in the 1900 building: Vee Jay Records (1960 – 1966) and Brunswick Records (1966 – 1976). The Four Seasons, Little Richard, Jackie Wilson and John Lee Hooker recorded here. The Beatles’ first U.S. album was on the Vee Jay label and distributed here.